Showing 12522 results

Authority record

Sukhinder Singh

  • CA QUA08162
  • Person
  • n.d.

No information available on this creator.

Sudbury Neutrino Observatory

  • CA QUA10009
  • Corporate body
  • [1984-2006]

The Sudbury Neutrino Observatory (SNO) results have provided revolutionary insight into the properties of neutrinos and the core of the sun. The detector was built 6800 feet under ground, in INCO's Creighton mine near Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. SNO was a heavy-water Cherenkov detector designed to detect neutrinos produced by fusion reactions in the sun. It used 1000 tonnes of heavy water loaned from Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL), and contained by a 12 meter diameter acrylic vessel. Neutrinos reacted with the heavy water (D2O) to produce flashes of light called Cherenkov radiation. This light was then detected by an array of 9600 photomultiplier tubes mounted on a geodesic support structure surrounding the heavy water vessel. The detector was immersed in light (normal) water within a 30 meter barrel-shaped cavity (the size of a 10 story building!) excavated from Norite rock. Located in the deepest part of the mine, the overburden of rock shielded the detector from cosmic rays. The detector laboratory, still functioning as part of the new SNOLAB facility, is extremely clean to reduce background signals from radioactive elements present in the mine dust which would otherwise hide the very weak signal from neutrinos.
The first co-spokesmen for the SNO collaboration when it was established in 1984 were Professor Herb Chen from U California, Irvine and Professor George Ewan, Queen’s University.
The director of the experiment, Art McDonald, was co-awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2015 for the experiment's contribution to the discovery of neutrino oscillation.
The underground laboratory has been enlarged into a permanent facility and now operates multiple experiments as SNOLAB. The SNO equipment itself is currently being refurbished for use in the SNO+ experiment.

Sturrock, Alfred D.

  • CA QUA01084
  • Person
  • fl. 1900s

Alfred D. Sturrock was a baritone singer.

Sturgess, Herbert Bernard

  • CA QUA02163
  • Person
  • 1936-2011

Herbert Bernard Sturgess was born in the north end of Kinsgton (a fact he is very proud of), in his home at 37 Dufferin Street (now the sight of a large grocery store), 17 June 1936. As the house was directly across the street from Robert Meek School, he did not have far to go to attend classes. With the untimely death of his father, Herbert Georege Sturgess, at age forty-four, Herb Sturgess at fourteen, was forced to look for work in order to help support his mother and siblings. Herb Sturgess passed away 17 June 2011.

Sturdy, John Rhodes

  • CA QUA01083
  • Person
  • n.d.

John Rhodes Sturdy was an officer in the Royal Canadian Navy and a writer. He was originally hired as technical advisor for the film Corvette K-225 however, given his expertise he was asked to write the entire screenplay. Also by Sturdy: "Without Convoy"(1943); " Cariboo Trail" (1950); and technical advisor for "Canadian Pacific" (1949).

StudioQ

  • CA QUA11360
  • Corporate body

No information is available about this creator.

Studio Denis Maurice

  • CA IHHF90
  • Corporate body
  • fl. 1970s

Studio Denis Maurice is a photography studio.

Studio Anka

  • CA QUA09763
  • Corporate body
  • n.d.

No information available on this creator.

Students' Memorial Union

  • CA QUA01740
  • Corporate body
  • n.d.

Following the Armistice, signed 11 November 1919, thus ending World War One, there was a strong feeling amongst all those connected with Queen’s University (both past and present) that some monument should be erected on the campus to memorialize the efforts of those “son’s of Queen’s” who had served during the hostilities of 1914-1919. Consequently, a notice was sent to all Alumni soliciting their suggestions as to what they thought would be an appropriate method in which to achieve this worthy endeavour. A vast majority of those who replied indicated that a Students’ Union would be the most apposite project to undertake.
Thus, a subscription was raised, but unfortunately due to circumstances and other more tangible factors, it was to be another five years before the plan was actively revived, and another two after that before construction was begun.
Upon the completion of the Students’ Memorial Union, its Warden, Lieutenant Colonel K.L. Stephenson, sent the following letter in early 1929, to the next of kin of all those who had died during WWI:
“In this Union there is a quiet room set aside as a special memorial to ex-students of Queen’s University who gave their lives for King and Empire during the Great War. The council of the Union propose to keep them in remembrance by placing their photographs on the walls of this room.”
The response was overwhelming, thanks in large part to the ferret-like work of Warden Stephenson, and his successor, Captain John Macdonald, and others, in tracking down addresses. Most of those who had died were memorialized around the four walls of the War Memorial Room, where their portraits were placed; not, it might be added, without further delay and much anxiety upon the part of those who in many instances, had given up their only extant photograph of their son, or brother, or cousin, or nephew.
As an unfortunate postscript for all concerned, a fire on 4 September 1947, destroyed the entire Union building, leaving the Memorial Room and its contents in ashes.

Results 1461 to 1470 of 12522